Tuesday 7 July 2009

home stays





































Saturday-Sunday Home stays


Matthew: I had the pleasure of staying with Mr. Pinard he is one of the leaders of the all operation who is helping us feel comfortable during our stay in Dominica. Mr. Pinnards wife and youngest son Kareem made me welcome with open arms. I started off with a nice meal and talking to Mrs. Pinard she was amazing to talk to. I went to a church service on the Saturday afternoon and when I arrived back I experienced a tropical thunder storm I was a little scared. The day after I went out with Mr Pinard and noticed that our residence was flooded with water but only in Girls dormitories. After went back to Mr. Pinnards had some lunch and Andy, Barbara and Annie also came to join me with the experience of eating local chicken, pork, plenty of rice I really enjoyed it. I went to a convention at night and stayed at Mr Pinard’s again and in the morning gave them a long farewell.

Riza: I stayed with one of the students called keyhan and at first I was really uncomfortable with it but thanks to Andy Mather I went ahead and did it and I found that I enjoyed it and I think they were very nice. I felt really loved but then it felt like home and I was really missing family and I was missing my girl friend a lot but yeah over all it was fab and really enjoyed it. Had some lovely meals with them and I met the wife of the first Prime Minster in 1978 so which was cool and I think it was amazing :D

Emily: I got to stay at Annika’s house and omg it’s huge! She had hot water, 2 kitchens, 2 lounges, and a gym and is currently building extra guest houses in her garden! I got lucky haha. Her mum and family are lovely and I felt very welcomed. Woke up Sunday morning at 7 and went with Annika to her scuba diving class, I got to see a turtle! :D Unfortunately I chose to sun bathe for 3 mins when the rain eased up. I ended up red raw and in pain :[. We have photos for you all to laugh at me hahaha. So all in all I loved my home stay and would have been more than happy to stay longer than one night :] Annika is ace :D

Sehrish: I stayed at Shirley’s place and I had a great time! It was a fantastic experience and I absolutely loved it. Shirley really is an amazing person! I got to analyze the daily routine of a person in another country, and that too in Dominica. I realized a lot of the things were quite common to how we live our lives back in England with our family, but the food and the way they all treat everyone is just amazing. I came across food that I had never seen in my life! Hehe. I got treated with the great respect and hospitality that anyone could ever receive, I mean these people here give up their best things and their comfort for people like us. I was amazed. I became so attached to her, reminded me of my mother. I would love to visit her again, she made me feel very welcomed x thanks Shirley, Sherri Anne and Randa x


Ashley: I stayed with Jerlyn who is a student who is coming to England next year. We went to a concert which was amazing! I really enjoyed it although I didn’t understand some of the jokes but it was a really fun experience. We went to her home afterwards because it was raining so badly! She lives with her Dad, brother, sister and niece. Her niece is the most adorable little girl, very cute I wanted to steal her. I slept well and wasn’t hot for a change as I had a fan pointing right at me! Had a great sleep in and then saw how their daily life was. It was a great experience and I’m glad that I stayed at her home. I’d just like to thank the family for letting me stay also.

Shahana: I stayed with Mr. Roach and his family. He has a daughter who is the same age as me (17), he has a son who is 14 and last but not least twin girls who are 11 years old. The family was amazing, I enjoyed staying with them. Even though we didn’t go out anywhere it was still fantastic. I preferred staying at home with them because I could get to know about them. On Sunday morning they took me to church which was a brilliant, it was a new experience for me, I have been to a church before but only had a look around so I followed what they all did. We woke up at 6:30am so we could make it to church for 7:00am, I had a little cry there when everyone was saying peace and hugging each other, and the Roach family also kissed me and gave me a hug which made me feel part of their family. It reminded me of home so I shed a little bit of tears. After that we went back home and had breakfast. When it came to dinner I helped Mrs. Roach cook!!! I made Mac and Cheese, mash potato and beans gravy. But for dinner I had more things to eat like spinach rice, fish and the things I helped make. I would like to thank them soo much for letting me stay with them for the night and for making me feel like as if I’m part of them which was really good.

Lauren: I was welcomed by Carlita and her family, Carlita being one of the students that will be coming over to Blackburn next year. Her family was lovely, she lives with her parents who are both Doctors and her brother and sister. I was a little bit nervous before going as I hadn’t spoken to her much before but they all made me feel very welcome. The first thing they took me to do was see the new house they were having built. WOW!!! It’s huge, like a house to be seen on “Cribs” we then went back and we had gorgeous food. Her family (cousins, aunts, family friends) was constantly in and out, I met sooo many people. Dr Griffin Benjamin showed me how to make fresh juice, Im expecting pineapple, mango, lime and passion fruit when im home so I can show off my skills. Then Sunday I went to church and helped make Sunday dinner. Overall I had a brilliant time and I just want to thank Carlita and her family :D

Rebecca: I stayed with Miss Popo and her family, Miss Popo works for the youth division a place that has helped the exchange students a lot throughout the trip. She has a husband and two children and daughter 18 and son 13 now, it was his birthday on the Sunday that I stayed so we all went to the park and played football and cricket. A lot of the family friends were there and I met a lot of them, they were so welcoming and nice to me. I hadn’t an amazing sleep Koyin (I think that’s how you spell it sorry) lent me his bed for the night and I was sooo comfortable, I got no mosquito bites but there was loud thunder which woke me up in the morning. Also I had a WARM shower!!!!!!!! But then I accidentally locked myself in the bathroom, trust me of all people. The Popo family was soo welcoming I loved the home visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment